Thursday, September 20, 2007

Raise a glass

In keeping with the Adult Beverage theme set by Attorney Diva yesterday, AND in showcasing my timely topic ability, we are going to celebrate National Rum Punch Day in style! I know! Try to keep the outbursts and squeals to a minimum so everyone can hear, please Kitten!

As a beautifully aging party girl AND a two-time visitor to the Bacardi Factory, I consider myself at the very least "well-informed" on this subject, especially after the last trip when I made pals with employee in Guest Relations, Jesus (not THE J.C.; it's pronounced "hey-Zeus", like the pagan god). Anyway, after learning about his extended stay in the Boston area and plans to return to Washington, DC, he imparted amazing morsels of info about what to put in rum drinks.

First of all, you gotta' know your rums. He said that there's Bacardi and then there's every other rum. Start with a good quality rum. Light rums are generally combined with fruity drinks. Divas dig fruity drinks such as ....

Marjorie's Rum Punch
Splash of lemon juice
2C light rum
2 Liters ginger ale
1 qt. fruit juice
1 qt. pineapple juice

Instructions?? Well, mix it together and serve over ice, silly! Garnish with seasonal fruit - because you know rum drinks were perfected in the tropical areas. I'll drink to that any day of the week!

The other Bacardi-Jesus tip that I have incorporated immediately in entertaining was to purchase the frozen Bacardi Mojito mix (grocer's freezer) and follow the instructions EXCEPT substitute Sprite for the club soda ingredient. I also use mint from my garden. Rave reviews are promised. If not, let me come over and help you get rid of your mojito left-overs, m'K?!

No comments: