Sunday, October 7, 2007

Get Your Yard In Gear, Part II

Don’t let your pots rot
Disinfect pots to get rid of moss and soil residue that may have disease:
· First, soak the pots in a sink, bucket, or bowl filled with a solution of one part bleach to ten parts water. Then scrub them inside and out with a scouring pad or bristle brush (Do you still have a baby bottle cleaning brush? Use that – it’s perfect).
· To prevent buildup of icky mold, let pots dry completely before stacking and storing by laying them on their sides, one tucked inside another
· Never stack pots vertically—changes in temperature and humidity will make them swell, causing them to stick together and they’ll break when you pull them apart. Didja' know that, Kitten?

Don’t be a tool to your tools
· Since tools seldom become obsolete, it makes sense to keep them going as long as possible.
· At the end of your gardening time, wipe off dirt and moisture
· Every couple of months, sharpen dulled edges, grease creaky hinges, and replace missing parts. · Disinfect pruners before using them on other plants as you remove spent blooms and foliage throughout the garden.

Light – Bulb on Bulbs
As far as planting goes, bulbs are on my mind, specifically tulips, crocuses, jonquils, and irises.
· Plant them before the ground freezes.
· Keep them in a cool, dry place until you plant them (mine are in my garage refrigerator currently)
· You don’t necessarily have to dig them up year after year.
· When selecting bulbs, bigger is better. Large bulbs produce more impressive blooms.
· Bulbs should be firm and look fresh
· Plant them with the fat side down. I'll bet you wondered about that.
· They need to be planted in well-drained soil. When bulbs fail, it's usually because they rotted in wet ground. Most bulbs prefer full sun. I know I do.

More to follow, my little garden mumsie. I'm on a roll. Yard bags adorn my curbside hoping to be picked up tomorrow (Columbus Day - we just never know when the city trucks have a mystery day off!). Toodles!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips. I really need you to just come over and consult on my yard!

Marjorie The Main Dish said...

Sure, Diva K. What toddy should I bring for us to sip on while we check out your lush gardens?

Anonymous said...

Hey now, I'll provide the toddies. It's the least I can do!