Thursday, February 7, 2008

Bag the Grocery Store Flowers

OK, I've been getting personal emails again (reminder: post to the blog for numbers, Precious) with questions from the Guy Set asking where to get flowers when I've just outlawed the grocery store variety.

So, my pal "Guy" emails me, "what's so bad about grocery store flowers anyway?"
A: First you'll notice that they have blackened tips around the edges of the flower. Many times there are brown spots or black holes on the exterior petals – sometimes penetrating beyond the outer layer petals. They're not fresh. They're not stored correctly. They haven't been taken care of properly. Why? It's a GROCERY store and this is an add-on item, i.e. a second thought - not the primary reason you're there. Or it's an emergency. Another reason that I hate grocery store roses is that they don't last long (see reasons above), so instead of having beautiful fragrant bouquet, it's dead in 24 hours and it reeks to high heaven. As yourself: is that really what you’re going for??? If you're planning for Valentine's or a birthday, you know, a milestone for the person who makes your ticker go pitter-pat, s/he deserves something that's not filled with fungus. Don't you agree????

You are in luck, Guy. I'm not leaving you hanging here. It wouldn't have flair if I did. So, I'm helping you out ... in a BIG way. You have options in the flowers-that-make-a-gigantic-impact-department. TRUST ME. And from your perspective, if you drop all that wonga, s/he should be beyond delighted about the flowers and give you a wonderful reaction of joy, surprise, excitement, etc. You know I'm right. Here's how to get it.

ONE WAY for a nice impact (especially if flowers aren't expected or you've been getting the Aisle 3 variety previously) is to call your florist and order today:
1. Dorothy McDaniel's Flower Market (Homewood) (205) 871-0092 or www.dorothymcdaniel.com .
2. Feel the Love, flowers arranged by the landscape architect, Mr. Love, owner of Mountain Brook Flower Shop 870-1666. Say hi to the dogs.
3. Who in town doesn't just adore Gus Pappas and Norton's Florist? 313-1983 I mean, they raised money for Natalee Holloway after she disappeared in Aruba and when they ran out of yellow roses, Gus miraculously got more. He’s a tasty treat with a big heart.

A freebie tip from The Main Dish: Spend more on the flowers, less on the vase. You hope that the recipient says, “what gorgeous flowers; how thoughtful.” NOT “what an interesting vase; oh, there are flowers in it.”

Here are some BEYOND WOW impact options. Send these to the office of your sweetheart and you’re instantly the perfect boyfriend/husband who all the other boyfriends/husbands now hate because you’ve made them look bad. See, I’ve got your back!!!!

~ Send your little minx resplendent orchids from Hawaii. They are simply exquisite and aromatic. I have received these as a thank you and it blew me away. The flowers lasted more than 2 weeks. This can be much less expensive than the traditional dozen roses and get the kind of reaction you’ll thank me for later. www.kaimuflowers.com

~ How about sending the most gigantic, eye-popping roses your heartthrob has ever encountered? Late comedian Rodney Dangerfield’s wife , a florist, founded Jungle Roses – roses grown in the Amazon jungle and rainforests in Latin America. They are picked and shipped same-day to your beloved. They arrive in a huge box. No one at the office will miss this one; the water cooler will be a-buzz, swear it. They have arrangements, 2 dozen roses, dozen roses, and the simply divine Petal Package (when I received it years ago it came with probably three hundred 3” rose petals for the bath, a scented candle, and some rosewater. Promise, Guy, you’ll score with this one!!!). www.jungleroses.com

You won’t be disappointed. Diva Endorsed. Order now. RIGHT now. Stop reading (until I post again). Get going on it. Shoo! (come back soon!)
XOXO

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, Diva Dish, you are awesome!!! You have saved me from an unmitigated disaster. I had no idea about the grocery store roses. I may stand a chance now with the beautiful swan I'm dating. I can't decide, though, between the Jungle Roses and the orchids. Help a poor Guy out?
- One of the Guys

Anonymous said...

I need some serious help. I want to pop the big question and everything I've thought of so far just sounds stupid. I'm desperate enough to post to your website hoping you will just tell me what to do. The proposee loves everything you say, so I know you will point a dude in the right direction.

Marjorie The Main Dish said...

OMG.
Both of these can be answered by how much are you wanting to spend, Big Fella'?! Guy, you're not going to make a mistake. I've just tossed a coin because it sounds like you want to be told what to do. Drumroll ... Buy the Rose Petal package for Valentine's and then orchids for the birthday.

Dude, um ... I gotta think about this one. Congratulations, you've posted the heaviest question yet on the blog. Ooh! What a coincidence, you want to pose another question, too. Lordy, the pressure. I'll noodle it and post a whole topic on it.

Wine Know said...

Please don't put the ring in food as a surprise!!!!!!! As an ex Chef I have actually witnessed this disaster and let me tell ya...it ain't pretty!