Friday, November 9, 2007

Crack-pot Crock-pot Rapid Response

Please note the survey to the left and participate. Saucy Diva is dying for cold hard numbers.

This is my crock pot. Isn't it ugly??? It's the only thing I own that sports a country style theme. My dearly departed grandmother gave it to me when I was in college. I'd never heard of crock pots before that. I didn't even use it until I was 35 and had moved it approximately 6 times before plugging it in. My favorite things to cook in the crock pot these days:

Artichoke Chicken & Pasta that serves 4-6:
1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 8 oz. package fresh, sliced mushrooms (always a time-saver to buy the sliced variety!)
2 6-oz. jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained
1 tbsp. minced garlic (another time-saver is to buy the jar of minced garlic)
¼ C. white wine (I generally am a bit liberal with this measurement!)
1 tsp. black pepper
1 sprig each of fresh basil, oregano, and rosemary (if you don’t grow them in your yard, use a pinch of each from your spice collection)
Angel Hair Pasta or Spaghetti

Combine all ingredients except pasta in the crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Cook pasta. Put pasta in bowls and ladle the contents over it. It comes out looking like a pasta dish with sauce. Even my kids like to eat this!

You can have instant Mexican Night when you walk in the door compliments of your crock pot with Beef Tortillas (and the kids love this, too!)
1 lb. ground beef
1 (10 oz) can of Italian tomato soup
Pinch of basil
1 C. your favorite chunky salsa
¼ C. milk
6 tortillas
1 C. shredded Cheddar cheese

In advance, brown your ground beef in a skillet. Then place cooked beef in slow cooker. Combine soup, basil, and salsa. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. During last hour of cooking time, stir in milk. Spoon mixture into tortillas; add cheese (or other favorite garnishes) just before serving.

Just last night, Diva Ann emailed me asking, "Diva Marjorie, What is a good recipe for a cold night drink to warm your insides, please? Ann" I emailed her back a quick stop-gap solution. Should you want to share with others, here’s a tasty toddy to raise your crock pot spirits --

Sweet Hot Buttered Rum (you know I do love a festive adult beverage):
2 C. brown sugar
2 C. confectioner’s sugar
½ C. butter
Pinch of salt
3 sticks cinnamon
4 cloves
1 ½ quarts water
4 C apple juice
Cook for 5 hours on low (with the cover on, silly!).
Then, stir in 2 cups rum (I prefer dark, but suit yourself) or rum extract.
Ladle into mugs (with this quantity, Pumpkin, consider sharing). Garnish with whipped cream or a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream and a sprinkling of nutmeg.

Bottoms up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I promise to try and find my recipe for Caribou Stew. Dad sent us tons of the stuff from a hunting trip to Northern Quebec (or maybe it was Ontario) a few years ago. We made it for a football party, and it was a hit!