Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Spreading Cheer

Food for thought:

If you're feeling blue, worried about troubles, I highly recommend you volunteer at a battered women's shelter, soup kitchen, or homeless shelter - pronto, Pumpkin. The Gorgeous Creatures (aka Choral Group) and I sang this morning at such a place, and it was a spiritual treat. I can't tell you who felt better at the end. Tissues were passed around both for the guests and for the performers. One of the women there told us after the performance that she was crying not because she was sad about her situation, rather that she felt happy for the first time in a long time. I'll tell you, it certainly serves up instant perspective.

Be merry, Cupcake! You have many blessings. I for one adore you!
XOXO

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marjorie - what a marvelous suggestion. I'd like to put a word in for the First Light shelter if anyone is looking for opportunities to volunteer. Here is the web site, http://www.firstlightshelter.org/. It's a wonderful organization!!!

Marjorie The Main Dish said...

I love First Light, too! Tell Ruth, the Exec. Director, I said hello. And if you can't volunteer there, buy their cross necklaces made by the guests there. They're just gorgeous and have raised thousands of dollars for First Light. It is so nice to see the organization doing so well. A splendid suggestion, Katherine. Thanks for the quick link!