Monday, December 3, 2007

Shopping Strategies

Out of the gate, I am compelled to tell you that I am a kamikaze shopper. I really don't like the malls. Stunning, n'est pas? But, they can come in handy around this time of the year - disgusting as they may seem (I have to pass a mall twice a day and dread it more and more as the traffic gets worse and worse). As a giving diva, I share my closely-guarded efficient shopping secrets with you, Poodle.
1. Of course, I find what I can on the internet - but that's sometimes more time-consuming than the mall (shriek!)
2. For those special people on your list, instead of giving a gift, give a memory. Which reminds me, Saucy Diva, when do you want to reschedule your birthday horseback ride? Oh! Back to the group ... a play, dinner out, a dinner in. For my kids, we put up the play tent in the living room, fill it with pillows, pop corn, and have movie marathons. They love it. 2 years ago at my nephew's, we watched Polar Express and ate s'mores that we cooked in the fireplace. We still talk about it with great fondness.
3. On that mall-avoiding note, you can create personalized gift certificates (my dad named them Goodfer's years ago 'cause it's "good for" something). Create a hiking outing, walk in the park, drive to the beach /mountains /country / Tuscaloosa, a knitting lesson, help decorating before a party ....
4. Visit locally-owned and operated stores. Katherine would love for each of you to call her at Jonathan Benton Booksellers and she will recommend books and take your order. (How much do you love me, Katherine????)
5. Shop at off-peak hours. Avoid lunch and post-school or post-work times. The least crowded times at the mall are when the stores just open. Check the paper or call the mall office for hours as they change closer to Christmas. In the same vein, shopping after 9 p.m. will avoid crowds.
6. Plants can make a nice gift for your gardening enthusiast (this Dish, though, kills inside plants, yet they flourish outside where they belong - so know your recipient on this).
7. Gifts in the Adult Beverage category are also great for us imbibers and do not require a trip to the mall.
8. Martha Stewart endorses homemade gifts. I plan on giving homemade salsa and tomato chutney made from items grown in my garden. I yearn for Divann's homemade cookies and treats. If you're at Chez Dish and you see a plate of delicious items from Divann - BACK AWAY. It has MY name on it, not yours. I'll share just about everything else, but not that. Dem's da berries.

Parking at the Mall
1. Don't try to find the closest spot. It does not exist. Plan on hiking and burn off those party calories.
2. Don't enter the first entrance. It's always more clogged.
3. Take a look-out when possible.
4. I seek those spots near the cart return and call that efficient (at Tar-jhay, of course!)
5. Do one loop and then give up - park at the back of the lot. Gas is getting expensive, my little Elf!

Good luck, Tinsel! XOXO!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the plug, Miss Marjorie!

It is so important to shop with small businesses. Even if the prices are a little more, think of it as an investment in our communities! I hear people all the time lamenting the loss of "small town" life, but then they run over to Barnes and Noble, or Lowe's instead of supporting the businesses close by. When you think of it, by the time you haul out to a big box store, deal with the traffic, the crappy customer service, spend the gas it takes to get out there, you've pretty much negated any savings.

The holiday season is really the time to do this. I haven't stepped inside a mall November through December in years. I just do my shopping at local businesses and avoid the hassle of the mall altogether.

Marjorie - I love your homemade gift idea. Honestly, as an adult those are my favorite anyway!

Anonymous said...

One year I bought all my presents at Auto Zone. Everyone was thrilled! These presents were fun and funny (because of the theme) and actually things they all wanted. Another year, I got 3/4 of my gift list, one of my favorite spatula/ pan scrapers. They are great scrapers and they last over ten years!

I'm thinking small businesses are the way to go this year. It will afford me more energy to bake. (Thanks for the rave reviews on the goodies.)

Marjorie The Main Dish said...

Wow. Nothing says, "Merry Christmas, Love Divann" more than a quart of motor oil, I guess. Knowing you makes this even more HILARIOUS!!! The spatulas are wonderful and I somehow wound up with that in the divorce - you know, you must stake claim to all those important items and I was obviously willing not to let that go without a battle. Spatulas like this one are truly incredible items.

Off to spread Christmas cheer! XOXO