Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Decorating for Christmas 2010

Well, Tinsel, I'm sorry to say this, but you're out this year. Yes, we're having flash backs to 1967 because fake snow (I think it was called "flocking your tree") is in.

Fortunately, the up-side to still being in a recession (I don't believe we're out of it, do you? I mean, REALLY) is that during hard times, trends go back to traditional (again, flocking the tree? Is that necessary?)

So, the big trend of outdoor, jumbo-sized decorations are still going strong. In my neighborhood alone, we have Penguins on a Train, a snow globe of epic proportions (do you know TSA will confiscate your snow globe of regular proportions if you dare sneak it on an airplane?), a blow up dog with a Santa hat, and what I can only describe as stay-puff Christmas trees - a "forest" of 3.

The biggest news-maker this year is the new LED lights. They are supposed to be really energy efficient. While a far cry from the original candle, I think that this could move us in a good direction ... unless, of course, you're the local power company, who, let's face it is really the big winner this time of year.

PS I'm NOT flocking my trees. Nope. Nary a one. How about you, Vixen?

2 comments:

Mazy said...

Flock no.

Allen007 said...

Does a good, proper flocking require forespray?