Thursday, January 3, 2008

Fridge Fritz Factoids

A diva never knows what she'll return home to after an effortless get-away. This time, it was a dead 'fridge-freezer. I walked in and thought Tony the Terminex guy couldn't have just left. But that's precisely what it smelled like, but worse.

The Main Squeeze sprang into action after I got SO ticked with Sears Customer Service/Repairs (10 days to come out to fix the dad-gum appliance, my @$$). He found Mr. Appliance. LOVE THEM!!!! They showed up to the Diva Digs in under 2 hours of the call. Mr. Appliance, who's son we hope will get into Georgia Tech in the Fall (cross your fingers), fixed the blown gizmo and didn't charge the service call in addition to the repair cost. Saved me $60 (even better than the $95 Sears wants to charge to show up and ring your doorbell).

While that's all well and wonderful, he spent 10 minutes on a tour of my kitchen giving me tips, which I'll pass along to you, 'cause they're splendid.
1. Get Jet Dry for your dishwasher and use it. Especially due to the drought, which is kicking up more mineral deposits than usual in our diminishing water sources, drains and small holes are getting clogged with minerals. Jet Dry helps break them down and keep the clogs from forming. Just saved you a big repair-a-clog bill there.
2. On several oven models, it is not a good idea to use the Self Clean feature. According to Mr. Appliance, he has yet to make a service call due to Easy Off. He has seen melted/cracked glass on the window, melted stove wire casings, and other catastrophes due to the temperature of the automatic self clean reaching more than 1,400 DEGREES. So, use Easy Off.
3. When you lift the stove lid to clean the area between the drip pans and the top of your oven, do not set a bowl of water there. This had, frankly, never occurred to me- I just use a sponge or Chlorox wipes. Mr. Appliance told me that he has seen the entire stove shorted out due to the bowl of water spilling. Stick with the wipes, Princess.

Mr. Appliance fixes everything except microwaves and TVs, which I'm told you should just replace because it will be less expensive.

Off to get those Cholorx wipes to clean out the fridge and freezer and then re-load all the stuff from my garage fridge and coolers. Toodles!

No comments: